Recovery After Dallas Tornadoes
Cindy and John were completely overwhelmed when a tornado hit their North Dallas home, They sent of this card to say "Thanks!"
On October 20, 2019, an unexpected turn in the weather occurred. Storms across the DFW metroplex produced 10 tornadoes: four EF-0 storms in Allen, Ferris, Kaufman County and Wills Point; four EF-1 whirlwinds in Kaufman County, Midlothian, Rowlett and Rockwall; an EF-2 twister in Garland; and the EF-3 monster that tracked from northwest Dallas to Richardson.
The largest of the storms, the F-3 in North Dallas, left a trail of destruction nearly 15 miles long. Many of the structures were deemed a total loss by the insurance companies, while the rest sustained severe damage.
SERVPRO of Lake Arlington was on the ground as soon as possible to assess houses and assist the residents in the journey through disaster recovery. We have the capacity to handle the clean-up, drying, pack-out, move out, and rebuild after any storm.
Working major disaster such as these is all at once rewarding, exhausting, and emotional. SERVPRO of Lake Arlington is honored to serve our community in times of need. We bring normalcy into peoples lives by getting them back in their homes as quickly as possible "Like it never even happened."
IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Lake Arlington is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Lake Arlington
SERVPRO of Lake Arlington specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO™ corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Winterize Your Home
Winter in Texas can be a gamble. Some years are mild and warm, while others leave us iced in for days. Nevertheless, it is important to take a few preventative measures to protect your home through the chilly months. Winterizing is generally a task that can be done relatively inexpensively, will make a big difference in how comfortable your home is, help prevent fires and water damage, and could even save you money on those utility bills! Here are some way you can get a jump start on winter weather conditions:
- Clean gutters and downspouts in mid-fall and double-check them before winter.
- Replace the filter in your furnace.
- Close any vents in your home that may have been opened for the warm weather.
- Disconnect hoses from outside faucets and turn off the water.
- Buy a snow shovel and other winter supplies before the messy weather hits.
- Keep extra water and canned food in storage just in case.
- Test your heating system, so that you know it will work properly when you need it.
- Give your deck a fresh coat of sealer to protect it from the winter elements.
- Keep outside faucets covered when not in use.
- If it's below freezing, leave kitchen cabinets open and water dripping to avoid a pipe freeze.
What To Expect When You Call SERVPRO
SERVPRO of Lake Arlington is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 817-460-7766
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Lake Arlington has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration, in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
- What year was the structure built?
- What type of foundation does the structure have?
- What type(s) of flooring is in the affected area(s)?
- Have you experienced a previous water loss?
- Is there any visible growth (mold, mildew, exc)?
Commercial Restoration Experts
SERVPRO of Lake Arlington answered the call when a dentist's off had a water line break.
Flooding and water damage events at Arlington commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we are dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we'll be there fast with the help you need.
Prevent Holiday Fires
The approaching holiday season brings traditions, parties, shopping, entertaining – and potential danger.
The latest statistics available from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) show the holidays are a high-risk time for home fires. Christmas trees are responsible for 240 home fires each year, and other holiday decorations are the cause of another 1,170 fires1. Thanksgiving Day sees almost a threefold increase in cooking-related fires; cooking fires are almost twice as likely to happen on Christmas Day as on non-holidays2.
“No one wants to think about the possibility of losing their home, and even more tragically, lives because of a fire during the holidays,” said Rick Isaacson, Executive Vice President of SERVPRO Industries, Inc. “But statistics show, it’s important to be aware of the increased risk seasonal decorating, entertaining and cooking can cause during the holidays.”
Isaacson reminds homeowners that prevention and common sense can help keep homes and families safe during the holidays and throughout the year. Here are some sobering facts about holiday fires and tips to help keep your home, friends and family safe throughout the holiday season.
Christmas Tree Fire Facts
- 33% of tree fires are caused by electrical problems; 13% involve decorative lights.Check wiring on lights for breaks and wear. Replace worn strings and don’t exceed manufacturer guidelines for connecting multiple strands of lights. Don’t leave tree lights plugged in when you are away from home or when you go to bed.
- 42% occur on the 12 days from December 23 through January 3. Keep live trees well watered to reduce the chance of a fire.
Holiday Decoration Fire Facts
- 45% of all holiday fires involve candles; that number rises to 56% in December. Use flameless candles. If you do use traditional candles, burn them in sturdy candleholders, well away from drapes and other flammable materials, and never leave them unattended or allow them to burn down to less than one inch in length.
- 48% of all decoration fires start because the decoration is too close to a heat source.Keep all decorations away from heat sources like radiators, portable heaters, fireplaces, etc.
Cooking Fire Facts
- Cooking fires on Thanksgiving Day exceed the daily average by 272%. Supervise items on the stovetop. 58% of kitchen fires involve ranges; homes with electric cooktops have a higher risk of fire than homes with gas cooktops.
- Cooking fires on Christmas Day and Christmas Eve exceed the daily average by 96% and 89% respectively. Keep flammable items – potholders, packaging, wrapping, wooden utensils, loose clothing – away from the stovetop. And, don’t let lack of sleep or alcohol consumption affect your ability to concentrate on preparing the meal.
“It only takes a moment’s distraction or carelessness to turn a holiday celebration into a catastrophe,” said Isaacson. “We hope these tips will be a reminder to families everywhere to make fire prevention a priority in their holiday preparations, so they can spend the season enjoying family and friends, not dealing with the aftermath of a fire.”
For more fire prevention tips and information about fire and water damage restoration services, please visit www.SERVPRO.com
My Floor is Wet and I Don't Know Why
If your floor is damp and you can't see where the water is coming from, you may have a slab leak. Early detection is key when it comes to a leak in your home’s slab foundation. If left undetected and unrepaired, a slab leak can eventually lead to thousands of dollars in water and structural damage to your home.
Signs that you have a slab leak include:
- A sudden, unexplained spike in water bills
- Water pooling where it shouldn’t
- Damp carpet or warped hard flooring
- Mold or mildew (visible or just the smell)
- A decrease in water pressure
- A hot water heater that’s constantly running
- Areas of the floor that are suddenly hot
If you have experienced a slab leak or any water damage, call SERVPRO of Lake Arlington 817-460-7766
Storm Season is Here Again!
It's storm season again! When the cold arctic air from Canada and the warm tropical winds from the Gulf of Mexico meet, this can cause major weather disturbances in North Texas. As everyone who's lived here a while knows we can see all kinds of damaging weather from torrential rains, ice, sleet, hail, high winds and tornadoes. When these storms hit SERVPRO of Lake Arlington is ready to clean up the mess and make it "Like it never even happened". With over 40 franchises in the Dallas Forth Worth metroplex and our expert storm team always on the ready SERVPRO of Lake Arlington has the resources available to handle any size disaster. Our highly trained technicians will restore your property while providing excellent customer service in the process.
24/7 we are here for you.
Brand New Ozone Room!
SERVPRO of Lake Arlington is proud to announce the completion of our on-site Ozone Room!
Ozone treatment is a powerful way to eliminate odors without the use of chemicals or masking deodorizers. The ozone room can be used after a fire to get soot smells off of contents. You set the contents in the room, set the timer, and let it work its magic!
The ozone room works by utilizing an electrical current and breaks down odors. The ozone room is a very important tool that SERVPRO of Lake Arlington utilizes when cleaning contents and deodorizing because it kills the odors at the source without using harsh chemicals.
Here is the science behind the ozone room: Normal oxygen is mixed with an electrical current such as lightning transforming normal oxygen into activated oxygen. The activated oxygen is what cleans the air, contents, etc. This is why it always smells so fresh outside after a thunder storm! The activated oxygen from the electrical currents is cleaning the air naturally! Electricity is nature's way of cleaning the air.
Lunch and Learns
Here at SERVPRO of Lake Arlington, we take special care of our commercial customers.
Water, bio, and fire emergencies can happen anytime and anywhere. We want you to have all the knowledge you need to be prepared in the event of a commercial loss.
One way to share with and educate potential customers are through lunch and learns. During a L&L, and a SERVPRO of Lake Arlington representative schedules a time to bring lunch to your insurance or real estate office. During the meal, the representative will get a short presentation on services, hand out literature, and leave your team with plenty of SERVPRO of Lake Arlington goodies!
If you would like to schedule a Lunch and Learn with one of our representatives, call us today!