Prepare Your Home for Winter Weather
Prepare your Lake Arlington home for winter weather:
Tips to Prepare Before Winter Weather
- Don't let your leaves stay put! This can cause mildew growth and smother your yard. Rake them up and toss them or mix them into your garden beds.
- Keep your firewood stacked away from your home because creepy crawlers love cozy wooden homes! We recommend keeping your woodpiles at least 6 feet from your homes.
- Drain external water hoses and store away for the winter season so they don't freeze.
- Let the sunshine in! Opening your blinds or curtains can cut costs for electric bills. Sunshine also boosts your mood, so let the rays in!
In the Midst of Winter Weather
- BE WEARY OF ICICLES! As beautiful as icicles are to look at, they can be an indicator of a major problem. The melting of snow on your roof can refreeze in the gutter, eventually forming ice dams which prevents the draining of water. The overflow of this melting and refreezing causes icicles. The water will eventually try to find an escape and seep into small cracks in the roof resulting in water in your attic and possible, subsequent mold damage.
- DO NOT pour hot water on your frozen car windshield. This can cause your windshield to crack! Instead, use an ice scraper and a commercial de-icing spray (rubbing alcohol will work too).
If you find water or mold damage in your house this winter, call your local SERVPRO of Lake Arlington for a FREE estimate. We are Here to Help® (817)-460-7766.